Sunday, March 21, 2010

Gluten free success

Oh my...I LOVED the gluten free fair yesterday. I found tons of yummy things. It was the biggest one they ever had. Finally they are making stuff that tastes good. I  still hate paying the high prices but at least there is a choice for some tasty stuff. I had some great chicken nuggets, soups, granola, potato patties (4 varieties), cakes, banana bread, cupcakes and tons of cookies. There was so many things  to try that I had to take only a small bite of many and bring the rest home. OH..I did taste a most delicious gf pizza by a restaurant that is totally gluten free. It is not too far from here (about 40 min) but gosh...pretty expensive. The pizza was just a cheese one and available to bake yourself. Yes..I loved it but at $12 for a small dinner plate sized bake yourself pizza...too pricey. I did buy a gf lasagna and it was a one serving pack and it better be good...no...more than good...outrageously good cuz it was over $10. From this I can deduce the restaurant must be pricey. The store had tons of dips and soups and meats and cheeses that I think are naturally GF but still nice to know things I can eat without worry. Way too many things to taste though.

We do have an Italian place very close to us where you can get anything on the menu made into a gf one. The owners wife if Celiac so he understands. But that place is expensive. We just dont normally go to a place where the meals are in the $20 range. We went there once and with coffee, dinner and a dessert, it was well over $60. A friend took me there for lunch one day AND we had a buy one get one coupon. We only had a main entree and tea and the bill was still $20 plus tip. Food good? Yes..but I have no idea how people can afford going to places like that much. Someone has to for them to stay in business. I guess we just don't value ambiance that much huh?

There is another celiac specialty bakery that is opening a store about 10 miles from us and they have a tasting next weekend.  Hillers that I go to for gf stuff carries their stuff frozen and I have bought it many times. I never bought their bread though as I usually bake my own but want to try it. When a small loaf is about $7, one gets leery to buy it especially after having tasted so many nasty ones. I still have not found a fully baked loaf that is good. Which is why I bake my own. I have found a few buns, bagels and english muffins that are good though. But again..the price gets to me. Most are in the $1.50 range..that is PER bun or bagel. Like my favorite bagel is sold in a pack of 5 for $7.99. I still cringe when buying them. But they are good.


I guess that might be a good thing as one is not  supposed to be eating much of  that crap anyway. If my doc had her way....I would be a vegetarian mostly with meat as a condiment..lol.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Hooray for a great gf day. Most restaurants here for a drink, meal, and dessert you are talking at least $25 - $30. But there is always the buffets which run about $15 for everything. Glad you had a good day

Pat said...

I think that is about right for most places here too but we have some reasonable buffets. We go to mostly Chinese and our fav is(lunch) $5.99 and another is only $7.99 and $2 more for dinner time plus a beverage. Being in a town with a lot of seniors we have several restaurants that have very reasonable prices. Mostly meal are $.79-$6.99. Geo and I go there a lot and the food is goo, and I end up taking doggy bag home. Our fast food which we dont go to is pretty high though. So cheaper and better for us to do to buffet...and we never tire of Chinese.