Thursday, April 08, 2010

We have things backwards sometimes

I just went to my favorite daily laugh blog and this was there:

 We are the only country where we have homeless without shelter,
children going to bed without eating, elderly going without needed meds, and
mentally ill without treatment.  Veterans homeless on the streets – yet we
have a benefit for the people of Haiti on 12 TV stations, ships and planes
lining up with food, water, tents, clothes, bedding, doctors and medical
supplies. Imagine if we gave ourselves the same support that we gave other
countries. 


I was always taught that charity begins and home and I have wondered about this very thing many times. I know full well that the rest of the world does need help. I also know that most nearly every church supports foreign causes as well as doing wonderful things for our own country but I can't hep but wonder why they don't have more programs to help the elderly population and veterans that are fast becoming bigger with each year. Yes yes..I know resources are limited but my mind says...lets help "home" first.

Sometimes this blog has other thoughts not only laughter. I go even though it is anti-Obama. 





 

1 comment:

Sandi said...

I am sorry that these things are happening in our country. I agree whole heartedly with the elderly and the mentally retarded needing more help... but the homeless... while some of them really dont want to be there, a HUGE majority are choosing it. I remember Ray talking about it. They dont want to own or be responsible they just want to roam.. So if people choose, then I dont have alot of pity for them. And I do think that in this country, children do not have to go hungry, there are food plans for them. It is thier parents , and who knows why, maybe looped out on drugs or mentally not there dont get the help the children need. So I DO have a heart for people in countries like Haiti. Here in the US we have a place to go for help... Where would they go?