Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Who chopped down the cherry tree?

I know who did it or rather who will be doing it.....Gary. And why? Cuz I told him to.

But why? Cuz it has gotten too big and a nuisance to keep trimmed.

When I put this weeping white cherry tree, called a snow fountain, in about 16 years ago, I envisioned it growing tall..past the roof line like my neighbors pink weeping cherry is. But alas...this little sucker grew out instead of tall. I have to keep it trimmed or you cant walk on the sidewalk and it also block part of the driveway. It grows fast and has to be trimmed about twice a year.

It has now decided to grow a bit taller with some branches on the left growing at an odd angle up. EWWW...just not nice looking anymore. Yes..we can keep it trimmed but too much trouble and as you can see..it casts a dark shadow on the house. Behind it is windows to the laundry room and it is dark and blocks a view. 

Time for something different. I am turning it into a gnome garden. I am having G trim the stumped to about 2-3 ft high and will put a gnome on it and other  figures with low growing plans. I am still not sure it the deutzia, on the right or the holly, on the left will stay. I will wait til the tree is down and plan from there.

3 comments:

Sandi said...

Go honest G!! LOL

Sandi said...

I have to say your trees are much more leafed out then ours, or is this pic from a previous year??

Pat said...

Yes...these are pics from last year. I wanted to show how big it gets in full leaf AFTER having been trimmed.