Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cane pattern pens

I loved the pattern style of the cane and decided to do some pens with that same pattern. I did change  where I textured it though. I though the roughness on the outside would not be good to hold so I did the textured part on the inside. Still looks good. And is a not too bad pen to hold. A little bit bigger than normal pens, The wood is basswood and I buy the pen blanks pre-drilled. It has a two step hole at one end to accommodate a pen refill. This gives the pen longer life in that you can replace the inside and still use it for a long time. It is not as delicate as it looks. Pretty sturdy.

I included an unfinished one on the bottom. It shows step by step how the pen is carved. I should of watched more carefully how I laid it out cuz the other side does show some markings and the layout before carving. I was in too much a hurry to get the picture. I need to slow down huh?

2 comments:

Sandi said...

I am the very lucky recipient of one of these pens. They are even MORE beautiful in person. Pat you are a great carver.

Pat said...

Thank you for the compliment. I am glad you like my work. I do only give to those that appreciate it and I knew you would. But..USE IT!!! Don't just hide it in a drawer. If it wears out or breaks..I will give you another. People, me included tend to saves things instead of using them. There was even an email going around for a long time about a guy who buried his wife in the nice clothing she was "saving" for a special time. Let that be a reminder that things are to be enjoyed and savored until they wear out or our next of kin WILL enjoy them.