Sunday, February 14, 2010

February carving class


Here is the project I will be teaching at the end of the month. Don't forget to click on the picture to get it full size. I finished this earlier this month and had so many requests to teach it. I don't teach as much these days but So many loved this and begged me. I guess I am human...flattery will get you everywhere especially since everyone looked so cute begging me to teach it.

This egg was the size of a hen's egg which is about 2 1/2 inches high. But I ordered goose size eggs which are 3 1/2 inches high and a larger around in ratio. Already many have said they would prefer that size, so I ordered basswood goose eggs but also a smaller size for myself. I intend to get down to one inch egg size. I do love my miniatures.

This was also an experiment in a new painting technique. For me anyway. I have never painted with oils and Although the color is a bit more intense than I was going for...not bad for a first effort. It it more like a colored stain than a paint.

I am still unsure though if the class will include painting/staining or I will leave them on their own for doing it.

I also ordered some beautiful butternut eggs which I found were available. I am looking forward to doing something with them but leaving them natural as the grain is so pretty. I will just put a clear finish on them.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

That is soooooo beautiful. There must be great satisfaction looking at these pretty things you create. Well donw

Sandi